Named Lawson in 1879, the town was originally called ‘Blue Mountain’ after the old ‘Blue Mountains Inn’ of the 1840’s. Prior to this time the town was known as ‘The Swamp’, while the area from Lawson through to Woodford was known as ‘24 Mile Hollow’. The town was renamed after Lieutenant William Lawson, one of the famous three explorers who first crossed the Blue Mountains.
In the far north of Lawson within the Blue Mountains National Park is ‘Blue Mountain’ at a height of 727 metres above sea level.
Lawson has its own shopping centre situated along the Great Western Highway. Lawson has undergone some major changes over the past few years making room for a highway upgrade from two to four lanes. Many shops along the highway have recently relocated.
Situated adjacent to the railway station is the Lawson Bowling Club. Lawson also features one of the Mountains heated Olympic swimming pools. The pool is located on the railway line side of the Great Western Highway near Wilson Park down St Bernard’s Drive.
At the end of St Bernard’s Drive various walking tracks will lead you to some of Lawson’s natural beauty including Dantes Glen, Fairy Falls, St. Michaels Falls, Empire Pass, Echo Bluff and Frederica Falls within North Lawson Park.