Blaxland Blue Mountains Region NSW
Blaxland is around 40 minutes’ drive from Katoomba and 10 minutes from Penrith. Blaxland is a thriving community with churches, shopping centre, community groups, a library, children's play centres, bush fire brigade, chamber of commerce and a small industrial area.
Blaxland also offers several restaurants.
The main shopping centre caters extremely well for the community, and a smaller shopping centre at East Blaxland is great for the essential items.
The ruins behind McDonald's Blaxland are a reminder of the town's beginnings. They tell the story of Pilgrim Inn built by Barnett Levey, a free immigrant Jew who received one of the first land grants in 1825.
Blaxland was originally named Wascoe after the family of John Outrim Wascoe who held a licence for the Pilgrim Inn. This however was not the original Pilgrim Inn, but a second Pilgrim Inn which was built in Blaxland. The original Pilgrim Inn was located at the junction of the three early roads - Cox's Road, Mitchell's Pass and Old Bathurst Road. The town’s name was changed to Blaxland in 1914 after Gregory Blaxland - one of the famous explorers to first cross the Blue Mountains.
Blaxland Restuarant Destination NSW