For a dose of style in the Gippsland Lakes, make your way to Metung. A great base for water sports enthusiasts. This tiny town has become known for combining laid-back leisure with fine food and wine, so it's no surprise that people flock to this village to experience both.
Things to do in Metung
• Cruise - around some of the 400 square kilometres of the Gippsland Lakes
• Enjoy - a leisurely walk along the waterfront boardwalk to see docked yachts and cruisers
• Fish - for flathead, mulloway and bream in Bancroft Bay, off Shaving Point and local jetties
• Dine - in a harbourside restaurant
• Visit - the local galleries
• Buy - local produce at the Farmers Market on the second Saturday of each month
• Watch - the yacht races and relax at the Metung Yacht Club for a meal
• Play - golf at the stunning course at Kings Cove
• Visit - the shores of Bancroft Bay, where there is a large rock known to the Indigenous population as the Wallung. Part of the Batatuk Cultural Trail, the rock is the subject of a variety of stories that you can discover at the Krowathunkoolong Keeping Place in Bairnsdale.
Directions: Metung is about four hours' drive from Melbourne just near Lakes Entrance, off the Princes Highway from Swan Reach.