HISTORY AND HERITAGE ON PHILLIP ISLAND
Churchill Island Heritage Farm is open every day from 10am (except Christmas Day).
Disabled parking, toilets and access throughout.
Victoria's first European settlement
Churchill Island was discovered, along with Phillip Island, by George Bass and Matthew Flinders in 1798. Three years later Lieutenant James Grant constructed a simple cottage on Churchill Island and planted corn and wheat with seeds supplied by his friend John Churchill, after whom he named the Island. This was the first European settlement in Victoria
From cottages to a homestead
In 1866 John Rogers took up residence on the island and built two small cottages. Six years later the island was purchased by Samuell Amess, who built a weatherboard homestead. These buildings are still standing and are the principle historic attractions on the island along with the fragrant herb and flower gardens. There are also ranger talks, machinery demonstrations and festivals throughout the year and you can enjoy morning or afternoon tea and lunches in the new Visitor Centre.
Churchill Island -
How to get there ? - To get to the Island take the signposted turn north off Phillip Island Road one kilometre west of the Newhaven bridge. A bridge allows unlimited access. - Access is from 10 am 4.30 pm Ph 03 5956 7214
On Phillip Island - call in to the Heritage Centre and Museum on Thompson Avenue, which features exhibitions and a 20-minute video of the history and wildlife of the Island.